Smoke Alarms Save Lives logo

Fire Station Details - Gillingham (DOR) old fire station site

Upload an image of this Fire Station   Image of book  Upload an image of this Fire Station
Smoke Alarms Save Lives logo

Name:Gillingham (DOR) old fire station site
Address:School Lane/School Road
Town:Gillingham
Brigade:Dorset
Postcode:
  
Year Range: 1897-1973 (demolished)
  
Confirmed
Latitude/Longitude:
51.037688 North
02.272010 West
           
Further Information/ Provenance: 


http://www.gillinghamdorset-tc.gov.uk/History-of-the-Council/c-1-25.htm
- The site suggested for the new fire station was on the Grammar School land in School Lane. A quotation of 132/5/- from Messrs Flower & Barnes for building the fire station was accepted on the 1st September 1897. The work was to be completed by the 30th November that year.


http://www.dorsetforyou.com/media.jsp?mediaid=140417&filetype=pdf
- fire station built on School Road

Shown on 1901 1:2500 OS map, still on 1964 1:2500 OS Map, building still marked on 1983/1991 1:2500 OS map

Kelly's Directory of Dorset, 1911, p97
Kelly's Directory of Dorset, 1915, p95
- FB established 1904, station in School Road

Simon Adamson
- There were a number of purpose built pre NFS stations in use on the formation of Dorset Fire Brigade in 1948, These included Lyme Regis, Portland, Weymouth, Dorchester, Sherborne, Sturminster, Gillingham, Wareham and Poole. Bridport was a converted market building as the appliance room and a disused police station as the accommodation, and Swanage and Ferndown stations were converted churches

Simon Rowley
- old station replaced 1973
 
 
If any of this information is incorrect, or you can supply further details (confirmed address, location, years of use etc), please click here to send details



Return to previous page
Image of

 
 
 
 

Copyright © 1998-2023 Kevin Hale. All rights reserved

CSS   Valid CSS!   Valid HTML 4.01! Cookies Policy