Smoke Alarms Save Lives logo

Fire Station Details - St Margarets old fire station 4 site

Upload an image of this Fire Station   Image of book  Upload an image of this Fire Station
Smoke Alarms Save Lives logo

Name:St Margarets old fire station 4 site
Address:shed on the beach, Bay Hill
Town:St Margarets-At-Cliffe, Dover
Year Range: 1922-1936 (demolished)
51.151145 North
01.385785 East
Further Information/ Provenance: 

"The village had its own fire station from 1896, a hand-cart that was manned by volunteer firemen who were residents of the village. At the start of the 20th Century, a second fire shed was constructed on the beach where there was a small community existing of hotels, cafés and housing. In 1936 the village purchased its first motor fire engine and housed it next to the Hope Inn in the central village. The Auxiliary Fire Service took the station over in 1939 and at the outbreak of WWII the Royal Marines based in the village manned the two fire engines that were stationed there. A new station was built in 1970 along Reach Road, and St Margaret's became one of the first fire stations in Kent to alert the crew by Pocket Alerter instead of the traditional siren."

Garry Wainwright
- confirmed start & end dates from parish records
- brigade established 1896
If any of this information is incorrect, or you can supply further details (confirmed address, location, years of use etc), please click here to send details

Return to previous page
No Image Available

Copyright © 1998-2024 Kevin Hale. All rights reserved

CSS   Valid CSS!   Valid HTML 4.01! Cookies Policy